Alert! PAN card holders may have to pay Rs 10,000 penalty after June 30! Do this nowTue Jun 16 2020 / By: Rashmi
The month of June is about to end and there is something very important all PAN Card holders must do. Otherwise, they will have to pay Rs. 10,000. Many people know that June 30, 2020 is the last date to link PAN cards with Aadhaar cards. But, not many know that if they fail to do this, they will have to pay this massive amount as per Section 272B of the Income Tax Act.
Earlier, the deadline for linking PAN with Aadhaar card was March 31, 2020. However, due to the nationwide lockdown, the government shifted the last date to June 30.
What Will Happen?
As per reports, if PAN Card holders fail to link their PAN and Aadhaar, then their PAN cards will be declared as ‘inoperative’. This will mean that they will not be able to hold any financial transactions linked with PAN.
Now, the Income Tax (IT) Department has released a new notification. According to this notification, PAN card holders will face strict consequences like paying penalty of Rs.10,000 if they miss the deadline.
Therefore, if you are among those whose Aadhaar is not linked, make sure you complete the step before it is too late.
How To Link You PAN card with Aadhaar Card?
To help you save both your money and PAN card, we have listed below a step-by-step guide about how you can link both of your cards. Read carefully.
There are two methods for the linking process:
1. Through e-Filling Website
- First, visit the official website of the Income Tax Department at https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home and choose “Link Aadhaar” option from the left side panel.
- Now, enter your details like PAN card number, Aadhaar number and Name as mentioned on the cards.
- Tick the square box if you have mentioned your birth year on Aadhaar Card.
- Now, enter the computer-generated Captcha code. For visually-impaired, the site has an option of sending OTP on the registered mobile number.
- Click on the “Link Aadhaar” option and you are done.
2. Through SMS
- Send an SMS UIDPAN<SPACE><12 Digit Aadhaar Number><SPACE><10 Digit PAN> to 567678 or 56161 from registered number.
- An example would be – UIDPAN 987654321000 ABDBE3445E. There is no charge for sending this SMS by NDSL or UTI. But, you may have to pay the SMS charge to the mobile operator.
To ensure that you do not face any complications or pay hefty amount of Rs. 10,000, link your PAN and Aadhaar today.
For more details and updates, keep reading BankingOnTips.